Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How I came to be "Sir Madam!"

Its been barely 5 months since I joined a manufacturing company at the Management level, and with it came an unusual title - Sir Madam. Let me explain the genesis of "Sir Madam".

I first came across this term when I beckoned a technical designer, and the first words out of his mouth came - Yes Sir!, quickly correcting to Madam... thus out of the blue, I was being called "Sir Madam".

Of course I had mildly dismissed it as a one-of-thing, terming it as a slip of the tongue. But within the coming weeks I came across this salutation term half a dozen times by those who get startled whenever I refer to them in public. My conclusion thus far is that clearly they aren't used to having a woman "Boss" around, never mind the fact that I am not their immediate Boss, but Boss's daughter-in-law who may eventually take over the reins, but not anytime soon.

Don't take me wrong, I am not complaining, instead I am quite amused whenever I hear this term and laugh it off, embarrassing the person who just addressed me.

In fact, I'd like to take it further and ask them why they just called me that. Perhaps then one of the answers would be - Sorry Sir! (oops!) Madam. A proof of the male dominant work culture legacy.

Another version of the answer could be - "No Madam, we didnt know it was you." To that I would say - "But you just heard me calling you, and does it mean my voice is not feminine?" Leaving them all the more confused groping for an appropriate answer.

Or, another honest answer could be - "Umm... we are used to calling Sir" Ah! now thats more convincing and appropriate.

While I'm at it, let me share another peeve - the word Madam itself. I would prefer everyone calling me by my first name itself, as I am used to it, thanks to my previous work culture. I tried convincing others to do so but in vain. Maybe they don't see me as "one among them". So I let it be and reluctantly accepted the "Madam" culture, and constantly being reminded of the school days when we would call the teacher like so.

However what irritates me is when my seniors or peers also address me as MADAM (mostly pronounced as MEDAM), and so my agony to convince them otherwise continues. I'd rather have them call me "Ma'am" instead of "Madam", it sounds much more sophisticated and non-school like.

I only feel better thinking that I am not in North India, where I would've probably been addressed as "Sirji Madam" or "Sirji Madamji". For now I have resigned to this 'system' and realised not to try and beat the system, but to join in and enjoy being known as The Madam.... atleast till the time comes when more women are absorbed in the Middle Management , especially in the traditionally male held positions in industries like manufacturing sector.

Note: On the above post, a friend of mine remarked , "Oh, sounds like you are getting the reins of power!" I replied, "On the contrary, it (blog) only reflects the unfamiliarity of having a woman as a boss and that means so much more challenging task for me to change their mindset."

1 comment:

Nabayan Roy said...

The day people start addressing you either Sir or Madam; one thing is for sure--you have been KNIGHTED by the management and endorsed by the fourth class.