Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The first one

Is there a need to blog? I asked myself that couple of times before, as several friends of mine had started their own blogs and were "pursuading" me to do so. I didnt see the need to blog when I was in the Media (journalist), as I had my fingers flying off the keyboard punching in countless articles, news stories, features etc. I was just so full of writing that i needed no other excuse to get back to writing extra stuff (for which I wont be paid for!)

I felt there was nothing more I could write and frankly even if I did I wasnt sure if my blog would be read. So there I was justifying no need to blog when I had a forum (newspaper - Mint, and Magazine - Voice&Data) that was voicing what I had to share with the world.

Now, its been four months since I left Media as a career and jumped on the corporate bandwagon (business development), when a friend of mine popped the question, "Have you stopped writing totally?" and to that I replied tongue-in-cheek, "I still write the company newsletter!"
He then tells me to start a blog. Just like that he sets off the bug in me and tempts me with his blog address.

Inquisitive that I am, I fall for it and try the website, and next thing I know I register myself on this site as a blogger... what made it more convenient was the easy user interface and just 3 steps to start blogging. I didnt know it was such an easy task.

But still I dont see why I NEED to blog... The first thought that crossed my mind was to register a blog with my own name before someone else hijacks 'Malovika' on the blog space.

Next thought was OK.. lets get it over with....

Another was, whats the big deal with blogging? to find out I have to be a blogger.

A remote thought came to me that if Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan and Ram Gopal Verma have blogs then what tops me from having one.. but i would say that was an engineered thought.

My resistance to blog lasted 2.5 years and today I have finally done the First One.

My opinion on Blogging is that it is.......Mostly Harmless.

I am not here to "Express" myself.. i get plenty opportunity to do so by actually expressing with the ones who need to know what I feel.

I am not blogging to add to my social status symbol.... I have a modest amount of such symbols (counting my Past Credentials and iPhone).

I am not blogging to "Promote" my ideas or myself... (of course eventually that is what it becomes).

I am not blogging to be "It" or a 'wannabe writer'.

I am not blogging to say something clever and manipulate people's thoughts.

For now I have no reason to blog, and as soon as I find one you will find a second post here.


--- Mostly Harmless (borrowed from the fifth book by Douglas Adams of the same title)

1 comment:

Sudesh said...

what you have done technically in your first post is basically "keyboarded" if not expressed your thoughts and this is the most convenient way of doing the same and reaching out to a larger audience just through a url. Happy blogging.......